Life Love Laughter

Life Love Laughter
:)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

If I could be any one.....

If I could be ANY historic, present, or futuristic person in this world, I would be Emily Dickinson. She locked herself in her room and wrote poems her whole life pretty much. Simply amazing poems. I love them. Of course, it is possible that, with my attention span, I probably wouldn't be able to make it a half day locked in my room by myself. But I think she is truly awesome for doing it! Seeing the world from only your bedroom window and being able to write the way she did was genius.  These are two of my favorites.

-The Chariot-

Because I could not stop for Death,
He kindly stopped for me;
The carriage held but just ourselves
And Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste,
And I had put away
My labor, and my leisure too,
For his civility.

We passed the school where children played,
Their lessons scarcely done;
We passed the fields of gazing grain,
We passed the setting sun.

We paused before a house that seemed
A swelling of the ground;
The roof was scarcely visible,
The cornice but a mound.

Since then 't is centuries; but each
Feels shorter than the day
I first surmised the horses' heads
Were toward eternity.

-A Bird Came Down-

A bird came down the walk:
He did not know I saw;
He bit an angle-worm in halves
And ate the fellow, raw.

And then he drank a dew
From a convenient grass,
And then hopped sidewise to the wall
To let a beetle pass.

He glanced with rapid eyes
That hurried all abroad,--
They looked like frightened beads, I thought;
He stirred his velvet head

Like one in danger; cautious,
I offered him a crumb,
And he unrolled his feathers
And rowed him softer home

Than oars divide the ocean,
Too silver for a seam,
Or butterflies, off banks of noon,
Leap, splashless, as they swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment